Creating a cosy home
Our homes and the way we use our living spaces have now become much more important to us all. It seems we have finally found our own version of Hygge…the Danish Art of contentment, comfort and connection, a practical way of creating sanctuary in the middle of very real life.
During this year we have all been taking a closer look at how we can improve our spaces and now more than ever we are spending time to discover the small things that can really make a difference to our days and create our very own sanctuary.
As the leaves and the temperature continue to fall, it’s the perfect time to make our homes cosier than usual and some really simple changes can make such a difference to our day by creating a more comfortable and homely atmosphere.
We asked Redbrick’s Interior Designer, Jessica Herman, to share some of her tips for cosying up…
1. You can easily change your room layout to create a more intimate and cosy vibe. I have just made my living room cosier by moving my favourite chair much closer to the fire. A snuggler chair is the perfect fix at this time of year.
2. Introduce some autumnal colours into your soft furnishings by adding more cushions than usual in tactile fabrics such as velvet and wool. Layer up different styles in contrasting fabrics and textures and surround yourself with sumptuous throws.
3. Decorate with some new colour palettes, even just a statement wall – I’m loving Adventurer by Little Greene Paint Co. this season to exude a deep, indulgent and warm feel.
4. Add scented candles and diffusers with rich, wintery scents, particularly in the bathroom, for those long, relaxing baths, one of my all time favourites is the True Grace collection, the scent just lasts so long.
5. Restyle your outdoor space for those beautiful, autumnal sunny days by adding extra throws, cushions and a fire pit to create a cosy, calm and inviting space. Whatever your style, a contemporary fire pit, such as the Eva Globe looks amazing and creates a great atmosphere all year round.
6. Add more lamps to cosy up your room and maybe re-position to highlight key areas. Use a warm coloured LED filament bulb to add a subtle, cosy glow to any room.
7. Bring the outside in and add some great, leafy house plants or add some of Abigail Ahern’s amazing faux leaves for extra drama.
8. There's nothing better than losing yourself in a good book. I love to have my books on display on an open shelving unit, and the String collection is my ultimate go-to for shelving configurations, it's stylish and practical and suits any room.
9. Make an event of lazy afternoon teas or coffee and cakes and take the time to use a teapot or a cafetière.
10. Create the perfect snooze spot for your furry friend - Made.com have a great range of stylish, modern pet beds that look great and are easy to keep clean.