Sharing our favourite recipes...Our Managing Director's favourite Fish Pie recipe
In the kitchen: Alastair's favourite Fish Pie recipe
Alastair Bailey, Redbrick's Managing Director, shares his favoutire Fish Pie recipe. Alastair says with confidence that this is the ultimate Fish Pie recipe.
What you'll need
For the pie
- 200g boneless cod (or a white chunky fish) fillet, skinned and cut into rough 3cm chunks
- 200g boneless salmon fillet, skinned and cut into rough 3cm chunks
- 200g boneless smoked haddock fillet, skinned and cut into rough 3cm chunks
- 4 tbsp chopped flat leaf parsley
For the sauce
- 50g butter
- 50g flour
- 125ml white wine
- 500ml fish stock (good quality organic fish bouillon are fine)
- 90ml double cream
- 1 tbsp English mustard
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- ½ teaspoon anchovy essence (optional)
- Salt and freshly ground white pepper
For the topping
- 1kg floury potatoes (King Edwards are perfect), peeled, cooked and dry mashed
- 50g butter
- 50ml milk
- 20g fresh white breadcrumbs
- 10g grated Parmesan cheese
What to do
- To make the sauce, melt the butter in a thick-bottomed pan over a low heat, then stir in the flour gently.
- Add the wine gradually, stirring well; then slowly add the fish stock until you have a silky smooth sauce.
- Bring to the boil and simmer gently for 15 minutes.
- To finish, add the double cream and briefly bring to the boil again.
- Stir in the mustard, Worcestershire sauce and anchovy essence (add more mustard and Worcestershire sauce if you like it spicy).
- Add salt and freshly ground white pepper to taste.
- Gently fold the raw fish and the parsley into the hot sauce, and pour into 1 large pie dish up to about 3cm from the top of the dish. Leave to cool, so that the topping will sit on the sauce when piped over it.
- Mix the butter into the mashed potato, season with a little salt, and add the milk so that the mixture is soft enough to spread over the fish mixture. Gently cover the fish with the potato.
- Preheat the oven to 190C / fan 170C / gas mark 5 and bake for 30 minutes, then scatter on the breadcrumbs and cheese, and bake for a further 10 minutes until golden.
- Can also add prawns & peas if you like.